This course provides you with a theoretical framework for understanding conceptual design in the context of structural engineering. It will include understanding the overall process of design and where conceptual design fits within that, how to interpret a client brief, strategies for generating ideas in response to a brief and rapid, iterative modelling and testing of ideas.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the design process as a series of discrete steps
- Describe the characteristics of a good design brief, and be able to use these to write their own brief
- Describe and use techniques for idea generation
- Describe and use techniques for modelling and testing their ideas
Oliver Broadbent isan expert facilitator and trainer in design thinking for the built environment. With a background in civil engineering and teaching, he specialises in designing high-impact training that has a lasting effect on the learner.
Oliver is Director of engineering education and training consultancy Think Up. There he leads the development of Think Up’s programme of design training for an international portfolio of design consultancies. He also works with universities including Cambridge, Bath and Imperial to develop innovative approaches to curriculum design and delivery.
Oliver has co-authored a series of good practice teaching guides for the Royal Academy of Engineering on experience-led learning, e-learning for engineers, effective industrial engagement in engineering education and how to teach sustainability. He is a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor at Imperial College, London.
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Advanced Course for Experienced Practitioners on 11 Dec 2017
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Advanced Course for Experienced Practitioners on 05 Jun 2018
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Introductory Course on 17 May 2018
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Advanced Course for Experienced Practitioners on 11 Dec 2018
Event Date05 Dec 2018
Host OrganisationThe Institution Of Structural Engineers
The Institution Of Structural Engineers
47-58 Bastwick Street