The aim of this course is to help experienced designers take their conceptual design skills to the next level by helping them understand and interpret the tacit design skills that already use and developing strategies and practical suggestions for how to enhance the skills, with a particular focus on: understanding client need; generating and iteratively developing ideas; effective decision-making in design; and managing design teams.
Aimed AtThis course is intended for structural engineers with ideally at least five years’ experience in practice, and ideally experience of managing other people as part of the design process.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Be able to characterise the design process and describe how each stage requires different skills and attitudes
- Describe how conceptual design differs from detailed design and the consequences for how design is carried out
- Use techniques for understanding the underlying need behind a client brief
- Describe a model for idea generation and use this to lead a design team through the creative process
- Understand the relationship between modelling, testing and the design brief, and use this to establish an effective iterative design process
- Understand the nature of subjective decision-making in design
- Describe strategies for building an effective design team
Oliver Broadbent is an expert facilitator and trainer in design thinking for the built environment. With a background in civil engineering and teaching, he specialises in designing high-impact training that has a lasting effect on the learner.
Oliver is Director of engineering education and training consultancy Think Up. There he leads the development of Think Up’s programme of design training for an international portfolio of design consultancies. He also works with universities including Cambridge, Bath and Imperial to develop innovative approaches to curriculum design and delivery.
Oliver has co-authored a series of good practice teaching guides for the Royal Academy of Engineering on experience-led learning, e-learning for engineers, effective industrial engagement in engineering education and how to teach sustainability. He is a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor at Imperial College, London.
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Introductory Course on 17 May 2018
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Introductory Course on 05 Dec 2018
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Advanced Course for Experienced Practitioners on 05 Jun 2018
- Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers – An Advanced Course for Experienced Practitioners on 11 Dec 2018
Start date: 11 Dec 2017
End date: 12 Dec 2017
Host OrganisationInstitution of Structural Engineers
The Institution of Structural Engineers International HQ
47-58 Bastwick Street
London, EC1V 3PS